Saturday, July 9, 2011

Scavenger Hunt Sunday and POTD Day 98: Gum Wall.... ick!

Thanks Ashley for including a few of my ideas for Scavenger Hunt items!

1. Things that look like a letter of the alphabet: This was inside the Seattle Aquarium-look up when you are in that domelike aquarium that has sharks and stingrays and everything else around you....


2. Weather: Not to beat a deadhorse, but the weather in the San Juan Islands last week was A Maze Ing.....


Scenic Sunday
3. Bling-We saw the famous Gum Wall in Post Alley...one word: DISGUSTING! The smell alone about put us over the edge... I like that they have a huge gumball machine right there so you can contribute while observing... this theater box office is blinged out with GUM...ick!


4. Dark-We were walking in that alley and there was this store (I was already trailing behind due to my taking pictures of every little thing so I didn't even catch what the name of the store was)..it was dark inside since it wasn't open but I thought it had sort of a cool combo of "stuff" inside....


5. Tangled: Still in that alley.... looking up through the tangle of wires... I still am having such a hard time getting correct exposures... things are almost consistently too dark according to my meter. Yesterday, I purposely overexposed a bit and still things don't look just so. I feel like I am cheating when I edit...any comments from you photographers out there? Isn't the goal to get great exposure without editing?




19 comments:

  1. love the san juan pics and that gum picture IS disgusting. well, not the picture, but you know. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen nor heard of that Gumwall before. It looks pretty amazing though it honestly sounds yuk...

    Followed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what is shown in that picture is a fraction of space that is covered in gum-ICK is right! Thanks so much for following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gum wall is disgusting! great shot though & i love your tangled shot.
    Nice prompts this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yuck, the gum wall sounds completely disgusting. Great shots though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have got to go to the San Juan Islands! I've heard they are beautiful and your photos prove it. I don't mind not seeing the gum wall again, though.

    Lovely set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently I'm in the minority here but that gum wall looks awesome! I'm sure it smells but I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. WOW your shots are awesome!! That gum wall looks gross, but it is an interesting shot! Awesome find on the letter and the weather photo is so serene! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a gum wall close to where I live, I have always though it was a tad gross. All that spit lol. Great photos this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the gum wall... ewwww!!! but in a fascinating kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay it has been said already but GROSS! Of course you have to take a photo of that wall... it is just too one of a kind to not but *gag*. Great job on all the photos. You asked about the exposure on your tangled photo. How is the metering set up on your camera? Switch to spot metering (if that isn't what you already have it on) and just play around with it is the best advice that I can give. Spot metering will take the exposure reading from the very center of your lens (usually a dot there in viewfinder). I always take several shots quickly with different areas in the center. Like your tangled shot I would have done one on the sky, one on the lighter wires against the wall, and one on the darker wires sticking out. Don't feel bad for tweaking it in post either. It isn't cheating to make your photos better. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gum wall. Oh dear! But it makes for a great photo...

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok now that gum wall would have had me wretching(I have ZERO gag relex!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great set - I love your interpretation for bling...as gross as it is, it's also very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like your letter of the alphabet! Very creative. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos. I really love the first two. Awesome job Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Scenic sunday photo. Some day I hope to travel to the San Juan Isl. also ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the gumwall is quite cool

    ReplyDelete